Relationship Scales Questionnaire
The RSQ can either be worded in terms of general orientations to close relationships, romantic relationships, or orientations to a specific relationship. It can also be reworded in the third person and used to rate others' attachment patterns (See Bartholomew & Horowitz, 1991 or Scharfe & Bartholomew).
Please read each of the following statements and rate the extent to which you believe each statement best describes your feelings about close relationships. (you may wish to
1. I find it difficult to depend on other people.
2. It is very important to me to feel independent.
3. I find it easy to get emotionally close to others.
4. I want to merge completely with another person.
5. I worry that I will be hurt if I allows myself to become too close to others.
6. I am comfortable without close emotional relationships.
7. I am not sure that I can always depend on others to be there when I need them.
8. I want to be completely emotionally intimate with others.
9. I worry about being alone.
10. I am comfortable depending on other people.
11. I often worry that romantic partners don't really love me.
12. I find it difficult to trust others completely.
13. I worry about others getting too close to me.
14. I want emotionally close relationships.
15. I am comfortable having other people depend on me.
16. I worry that others don't value me as much as I value them.
17. People are never there when you need them.
18. My desire to merge completely sometimes scares people away.
19. It is very important to me to feel self-sufficient.
20. I am nervous when anyone gets too close to me.
21. I often worry that romantic partners won't want to stay with me.
22. I prefer not to have other people depend on me.
23. I worry about being abandoned.
24. I am somewhat uncomfortable being close to others.
25. I find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like.
26. I prefer not to depend on others.
27. I know that others will be there when I need them.
28. I worry about having others not accept me.
29. People often want me to be closer than I feel comfortable being.
30. I find it relatively easy to get close to others.
SCORING THE RSQ
Secure scale is the average of 3, 9(Reverse),10, 15, 28(Reverse).
The remaining items correspond to measures developed by Hazan and Shaver (1987) and Collins and Read (1990). As with the RQ you can calculated the underlying attachment dimensions can be derived using the following equations: Self Model = (secure + dismissing) MINUS (fearful + preoccupied)]. Other Model = (secure + preoccupied) MINUS (fearful + dismissing)
Please see Kim Bartholomew’s web page for more information about the RSQ.
Created by: Amie Kroes.
Last updated: June 18, 2009